Recipe prepared by Holly Chute, Georgia Grown / Department of Agriculture
Pecan pie, a staple holiday dessert, can become a fancy option by simply adding bourbon – yes we mean bourbon.
Serves: 8 slices
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 recipe pie dough, recipe follows
- Bourbon Whipped Cream for serving, recipe follows
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, eggs, brown sugar, melted butter, bourbon, vanilla, and salt. When thoroughly combined, stir in the pecans.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out your chilled dough and fit into a 9” pie plate. Pour the pecan filling into the prepared pie plate. Place the pie on a sheet tray to bake.
- Place the pie in your preheated oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with Bourbon Whipped Cream
- Makes 8 slices
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor mix the flour and salt. Add the vegetable shortening and butter. Pulse until the mixture resembles tiny pebbles.
- Add ice water and pulse until just combined. Chill until needed.