Recipe prepared by Elizabeth Gary, vegan chef and culinary writer for Jensen’s Foods, Southern California grocery store chain
This decadent all-plant-based vegan heart-healthy cheesecake is topped with an optional pecan liquor laced coconut milk whipped cream and chopped praline pecans. Try plating this dessert with an additional sauce of praline pecan butter for extra decadence.
This recipe requires processing in a high-speed blender.
- 1 Blue Diamond Prepared Pecan Pie Crust
- ¾ cup pecan butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1¼ cups pecan milk*
- 16 ounce block tofu (firmest)*
- Lightly toasted pecan halves or praline pecans for topping
- 1 can coconut cream, well chilled
- 1 teaspoon Cook's powdered vanilla
- 2 tablespoons (non-dairy) pecan liquor
- Chocolate stars
- Fisher Praline Pecans, chopped
- Purely Pecans Praline Butter for saucing the plate or drizzling
- Cut the tofu into two inch blocks, and reserve them near the blender.
- Combine the pecan butter, maple syrup, vanilla, chocolate chips and pecan milk in the blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Continue blending, add a few chunks of tofu at a time and blend until smooth between each addition.
- Transfer the cheesecake mixture into the prepared pecan pie crust.
- Garnish the top with lightly toasted pecans or praline pecans.
- Chill until firm, about one hour refrigerated on ice.
- Transfer the coconut to saucepan with the coconut milk.
- Next, toast the pecan pieces stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes. Mix the pecans into the coconut mixture then stir in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Continue to simmer for another minute or two then remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool before spreading.
- Chill a stainless steel kitchen aid mixer and wire balloon whip in the freezer until icy cold.
- Drain off any coconut water from the can of chilled coconut cream.
- Transfer the cream into the chilled mixing bowl. Add the vanilla powder and liquor and beat until fluffy.
- Keep both cheese and whipped cream chilled until serving.
- Make pecan milk by combining one cup raw or lightly toasted pecans with 4 cups of water. Add a little vanilla powder or sweetener if desired and blend until smooth and creamy. Reduce water 2½ cups for a rich pecan cream.
- For best results use the firmest of tofus. A nigari water-packed (but not silken), a nigari/calcium sulfate and vacuum packed tofu, or 16 ounces well-pressed calcium sulfate tofu.