Recipe prepared by Elizabeth Gary, vegan chef and culinary writer for Jensen’s Foods, Southern California grocery store chain
Serve with non-dairy vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- 1 3-pound bag Granny Smith or Fuji apples
- 1½ cup tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ cup vegan butter, well chilled
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 cup pecan pieces, roughly chopped
Cinnamon Praline Pecan Garnish:
- Pecan halves, about 20
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples. Place them in a 10-inch round baking dish.
- Combine the first tablespoon and ½ of flour in a small mixing bowl with the ¼ cup of sugar and the cinnamon.
- Stir to combine then toss the mixture over the sliced apples. Gently stir the apples to coat the slices evenly.
To Make the Topping:
- Use a medium mixing bowl to combine the 1 cup flour, ½ cup chilled vegan butter, diced small, ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut sugar and the pinch of salt.
- Use a fork or pastry blender to mix ingredients into crumbs.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Spread the topping over the apples and bake 50-60 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Allow to cool 20 minutes before serving.
To Make the Cinnamon Praline Pecan Garnish:
- Heat a small skillet to a medium temperature.
- Add the vegan butter and pecan halves and saute the pecans until they begin to brown.
- Sprinkle them with the additional tablespoon of coconut sugar and cinnamon, stir to coat evenly.
- Turn off the heat and let them cool in the pan and they will crisp as they cool.