I fell in love with this drink, the moment I tried it. This traditional and authentic drink can be found at most Mexican restaurants and family-run torta shops. This recipe goes especially well with spicy food, as it calms the taste buds immediately!
Serves: 7-8 cups
Serving size: 1 cup
Fat: 25 g
- 2 cups raw or freshly roasted pecan pieces
- 5-6 cups of water
- 1-1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine rice, cinnamon sticks, 1 cup of pecan pieces. Cover with water and allow to soak at least 6-8 hours or, preferably, overnight.
- Strain off the soaking liquid and place the rice, pecans, and cinnamon sticks in a food processor or blender. Add the evaporated milk and blend well until the mixture is smooth.
- Strain this mixture through cheesecloth and set aside.
- In the food processor or blender, combine 2 cups of water and the remaining 1 cup of pecan pieces. Blend until the mixture is creamy and smooth, about 1 minute. Add the maple syrup, sugar, 3-4 cups of water and the strained pecan-rice mixture. Blend again to combine.
- Chill well before serving over ice. Garnish with toasted pecans and cinnamon.