Recipe courtesy of Josh Butler, US Foods
These winning Asian lettuce wraps are fresh and full of flavor. Easy to make…think tacos with the lettuce on the outside!
Serves: 4-2 per person
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely minced or 2 tablespoons grated lemon or lime zest
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 red Fresno or Serrano chili pepper, seeded
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons demerara or granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons pecan oil
- 1 pound ground lamb, turkey, pork or beef
- ½ cup pecan meal, toasted
- 8 Bibb lettuce leaves
- Pecan pieces, toasted
- Sliced cucumbers
- Julienned carrots
- Lime wedges
- Mint sprigs
- Cilantro sprigs
- Thin sliced chili peppers
- In a food processor, pulse the lemongrass and garlic until finely chopped. Add the cilantro, shallot and chili pepper and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the pecan oil over high heat. Add lamb to the skillet and cook until meat is cooked through and crispy, about 15 minutes. Transfer lamb to a medium bowl and let come to room temperature.
- In the same skillet, cook the lemongrass mixture, stirring often, until fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Toss together the cooked lamb, the lemongrass mixture and the toasted pecan meal and lime dressing until well incorporated.
- To serve, place 2 tablespoons of lamb mixture onto a Bibb lettuce leave. Top with your favorite garnish. Fold like a taco, eat and enjoy!