Recipe prepared by Simon Stevenson, University of Massachusetts
A good wild rice recipe goes with so many different entrees. This pecan and dried blueberry wild rice recipe makes a side dish you cannot resist.
Serves: 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons pecan oil, butter or olive oil
- ½ cup chopped Vidalia onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup dried blueberries or cranberries
- 1 cup toasted, chopped pecans
- ½ cup chopped apple, such as Gala or Fuji
- Chopped parsley for garnish, if desired
- Heat the pecan oil in a medium saucepan. Sauté the onion and celery for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Add the rice and toast for about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or as per package directions.
- When rice is done, stir in the dried blueberries, cover and let stand for another 5 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in the chopped pecans and chopped apples.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired and serve!
- Makes 4 servings