- 2¾ c. unsifted all-purpose flour
- ¼ c. unsifted cake flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ t. cream of tartar
- 1½ t. salt
- 1 T. cinnamon
- 1½ t. freshly grated nutmeg
- ¾ t. ground ginger
- ¼ t. allspice
- ¼ c. (plus 1 T.) granulated sugar
- ¾ c. solid shortening
- 1½ c. buttermilk
- ⅔ c. pecans (chopped)
- ⅔ c. dark raisins
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter and flour a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan.
- Thoroughly mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and sugar in a bowl.
- Add shortening. Cut mixture into small lumps with knife.
- With fingertips, reduce lumps to small bits, rubbing into flour mixture.
- Blend in buttermilk, pecans and raisins with a few quick strokes (do not over mix, or biscuits will be tough).
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto baking pan, spacing 2” apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until biscuits are firm and golden.
- Cool and serve immediately.