Pralines just got a makeover…and so did the Old Fashioned. This drink is terrific as a pre-dinner cocktail as well as a smooth after dinner drink…and you can even eat the garnish!
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 strips orange rind
- 6-8 shakes orange bitters
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ cup ground pecans
- 4 pecan halves
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring pecans, water, sugar, and orange rind to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain and cool. Reserve candied orange rind.
- Dip the rim of four lowball glasses into water and then into ground pecans. Fill glasses with ice. Add 1 to 2 shakes of orange bitters and 1 ½ tablespoons of the pecan syrup. Stir until chilled, about 10 stirs.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of bourbon into each glass and stir until well chilled.
- Wrap candied orange rind around a pecan, secure with a toothpick and place on top of glass. Serve drink immediately.