This pecan smoked trout spread was created by Chef Trent Page, Chef de Cuisine at Bon Appetit @ Google Headquarters Cafeteria and can be added to top a crostini or any type of cracker.
- Trout, cleaned and scaled and filleted
- ¼ cup Mascarpone
- 1 Tbsp. Preserved Lemon (or Lemon Zest)
- 1 Tbsp. Tarragon
- 1 Tbsp. Shallots, minced
- 1 tsp. Black pepper, ground
- 6 dashes Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Pecan Meal
- ½ lb. Whole Pecans, in-shell for smoke, soaked thoroughly in water and drained.
- Salt and Sugar for cure (50:50 ratio)
- Generously season trout filets with 50:50 salt/sugar mixture and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Rinse fillets and place on a hot smoke fire on grill using the in-shell pecans as the smoke source. Cool.
- Combine all ingredients and mix until combined. Chill.
- Serve on crostini with herb salad.