For convenience, the barley can be made the night before and refrigerated, leaving just a few quick steps to make this healthy salad ready for a morning meal.
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 (1.23-ounce) granola bars
- ⅔ cup Georgia pecan halves
- ½ cup plain low fat yogurt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1½ cups chopped mixed fresh fruits – Recommend kiwi, strawberries and blueberries
- Ground cinnamon
- *Add ground cinnamon to yogurt topping to taste (optional)
- In medium-size pot, heat water to boiling.
- Add barley and salt, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Spread barley on baking sheet to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cut granola bars into small crouton-like cubes; set aside.
- Toast pecan halves in skillet or oven until toasted, crisped, and fragrant; set aside.
- Combine yogurt and maple syrup, mixing until blended; set aside.
- When barley has cooled, transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the granola pieces, pecan halves, and fruit mixture, tossing gently.
- To serve, spoon salad onto individual plates.
- Serve with yogurt dressing and a shaker of ground cinnamon to sprinkle as desired.