Chef Christian Hallowell, Customer Dedicated Executive Chef for Delta Air Lines, gategroup shares his beet salad recipe with candied pecans.
- 3 oz. Salt Roasted Root Vegetables (recipe follows)
- 2 oz. Honey Whipped Ricotta (recipe follows)
- 0.75 oz. Serrano Ham
- 0.5 oz. Candied Pecans
- 4 ea. Breakfast Radish, shaved ⅛”
- 10 ea. Micro Herbs
- Cracked Pepper
Salt Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1 lb. Baby red beets, washed, tops trimmed and left unpeeled
- 1 lb. Baby turnips, washed, tops trimmed and left unpeeled
- 1 cup Kosher Salt
- 0.5 cup White Balsamic Vinegar
Honey Whipped Ricotta
- 12 oz. Fresh ricotta cheese
- 4 oz. Heavy whipping cream
- 2 oz. Truffle honey (any flavored honey will work)
- To taste – kosher salt
- Portion Honey Whipped Ricotta cheese across the center of a plate.
- Place the Serrano ham over and around the ricotta cheese.
- Place the Salt Roasted beets and turnips around the ham.
- Place the pecans and radish in between the vegetables.
- Finish with an extra drizzle of honey and a few turns of the pepper mill.
- Top with micro greens.
Salt Roasted Root vegetables
- Place ½ cup of salt in a 1×1 section of aluminum foil
- Place the beets and turnips on top of the salt next to one another. Cover with the remainder of the salt.
- Close the foil around the beets and roast in 375°F oven for 30 min.
- Remove the root vegetables for the oven and test for doneness with the tip of a small knife. The vegetables should be tender.
- Remove the beets and turnips from the foil and rinse gently under cool water to remove the salt. The skin from the vegetables can easily be removed with a paper towel under running water. Trim the tips with a paring knife.
- After the vegetables are peeled, quarter into 4 sections. Set the beets aside.
- Place the turnips in a small bowl and add ½ cup of white balsamic vinegar. The turnips should marinate in the vinegar for approx. 20 min. Remove the turnips from the vinegar and set aside.
Honey Whipped Ricotta
- Combine the ricotta, heavy cream, and honey in a large bowl and whip using a whisk until light and fluffy, about 1 minute (or place in a bowl and whip using a hand-held mixer until light and fluffy.